Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Critique the Criticism

Skeeter’s mother was a mix of Hilly and Elizabeth. She is constantly critiquing Skeeter, just like Elizabeth does to Mae Mobley. However it was more affectionate and a bit more sympathetic. However, overall, I found her to be an unsympathetic character. The way she treated Constantine was unforgivable and she was not supportive of Skeeter. 

I believe that a mother should always be supportive of her children. In the article "Can Supportive Moms Enhance Your Brain" is has been found that a nurturing parent can enhance the development of a growing child. Children who's mothers comforted them in a time of stress were found to have a smaller rate of depression later on in life. 


There is one distinct point in the novel where Skeeter's mother is supportive, and it is very hypercritical. She tells Skeeter not to let a boy change her. Throughout the novel, however, Skeeter's mother is pressuring Skeeter to change for men. In my opinion, there needs to be a mix of support and criticism to make a good mother. We are constantly hearing of a mother who is over critical, or not encouraging her child enough. A mother has been through all the experiences which her child may or may not experience as well. Instead of the word criticize, I would you critique. By critiquing the things a child may do, you are instilling a positive outcome. Criticizing may be interpreted as judgement, which a child should never receive. 



2 comments:

  1. My biggest argument here is that Mrs.Phelan didn't really raise Skeeter, Constance did. When you raise a baby you develop a connection and are able to tell what it wants or needs just by the childs cry or expressions. Mrs Phelan never did that, I'm sure when the baby cried she handed it off to Constance to take care of it. I feel that Mrs Phelan or rather any of the mothers in this book never developed this connection with her children and therefore does not understand the sensitivity of a child. Im not excusing her behavior but this is definitely a big factor that caused her character to be the way she is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's interesting that you compare Mrs. Phelan to a mixture of Elizabeth and Hilly. Hilly is a proud mother who loves her children while Elizabeth is definitely more critical and passive in terms of her "mothering." I think you're right in your comparison; Mrs. Phelan is very critical but I think it's obvious that she really loves Skeeter. I agree that she is not very supportive, but I think that in her mind, she was trying to help Skeeter acheive the best life that she could. Mrs. Phelan's view of society and how one's life should be is quite different from that of Skeeter and society today. I do think that the point that you mentioned in the novel in which Mrs. Phelan stood up for Skeeter, because it showed her love for Skeeter and showed that she is in fact proud of her daughter. I think it was very important for Skeeter as well since it showed to her that she is loved by her mother. Good post Soph, I like the points that you made!

    ReplyDelete