Thursday, March 12, 2015

Making a Difference

It is often wondered if one person can make a difference. There is no doubt in my mind that a singular human being can make an essential difference. In the novel My Sister's Keeper, there is one person in particular whom I believe made a remarkable difference-- Campbell Alexander, attorney at law. When Anna ambled into his office, he did not seem very promising to make a breakthrough in her case. However, by the end of the book, Campbell Alexander changed the course of one girl's life forever. By winning the case for medical emancipation, Campbell gave Anna the chance to grow up as a normal teenage girl. If the two of them hadn't been in a catastrophic accident, Anna's life would have drastically changed. One person fought for her happiness, and made a tremendous difference. 

In an article titled "Why I Love Being a Lawyer," one person states the following..

"Why do I love being a lawyer? Because, once in a while, you get the opportunity to help someone who desperately needs your help. It feels good to be that person."
D.A. “Duke” Drouillard

Omaha, Neb.


It is no doubt possible that one person can help another individual immensely. Another individual who made a difference in the novel was Anna. Without Anna, Kate would not have survived past a very young age. And I do not mean survive as in medically live. I mean, survive. Anna acted as a middleman for the entire Fitzgerald family. Anna made Kate laugh and smile, allowing Kate to see the good in life; not only the draining sickness that was overcoming her family. Anna made a huge difference in the lives of her family members. Without Anna, none of them would have been able to see the light at the end of the dark tunnel. 

http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/why_i_love_being_a_lawyer/

No comments:

Post a Comment