First blog post for Persepolis 2
Marjane had an extremely unusual high school experience. After leaving her home, she was estranged from her mother and father. Adolescence is a crucial time in a girl's development. She learns how to make decisions on her own, take responsibility, and grow into an adult.
Marjane did not have her parents by her side to teach her these things. Moving to a new country at the time of learning all these "life need-to-knows" impeded on her ability to adapt. She was put in a very unusual situation. Being Iranian caused her to have a low self esteem. She began to think of herself as ugly, and eventually got involved in the wrong crowd. She used drugs to escape her dreary reality. Although using drugs to mask your problems is not the answer, I can understand why she did. Marjane drew a bad hand from the moment things went South around the age of 6.
Comparing her high school experience to my own, there are many differences. I was never forced to move to a new city and hide my identity. I also have never lived on the streets for even a day. I have, however, felt like an outsider. That feeling of wanting to escape reality consumes you. Marjane had to grow up very quickly in order to make it. I also know what it feels like to be forced to grow up. Being robbed of your childhood before you can even enjoy it.

In an article summarizing research on how moving is tough for kids, is was found that moving disrupts important friendships. It was seen that these moves were most problematic for children who are introverted. I believe that Marjane was an introverted individual, given everything she holds in her mind. Marjane moving to a new city drastically changed who she was. The article continues to go on to say how technology influences the relationships made by children after they have moved. Given the time period this graphic novel was written in, there was not the same kind of technology we have today. When Marjane missed her mother, she could not hop on a laptop and Skype her. Marjane handled moving badly, however the question is, is there really any other way to handle a move so colossal.
I totally agree with you that moving is tough for children and that it mustve been extremely tough to do so without your parents around. Personally, throughout my life I have moved several times and can't imagine how it would've been if I didn't have my parents to help guide me. Marjane was so young and had only the guidance of herself throughout her journey, and she eventually became very confused. She forgot who she was and was ashamed of who she really was, which then made her down spiral due to the move. Overall, great blog and I really liked the article you chose to incorporate into your claim!
ReplyDeleteI definitely agree with you that it is tough to move to another country without you parents with you. From my experiences I think it helps to learn your own responsibilities better and learn really quick how to live by yourself. Marjane made some poor decision like drugs and smoking and i think she made those decisions just because she wanted to have friends and also because didn't have self-esteem. At the end I really like the blog, its great!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you all the way that moving is not beneficial for children. Ive worked with children for two years now everyday and I can not image one of my introverted kids moving into a new setting. Even the social kids who come join the program have trouble the first couple weeks adapting. Can you imagine waking up everyday for weeks being uncomfortable all day. As a child being shuffled around from place to place must be extremely difficult to cope with.
ReplyDelete